UCCSL meeting with IP Lawyers

     Since the TOS changes there has been a slow but steady movement within the community to evaluate what the TOS actually means and just what might the intentions of Linden Lab be.  People like Kylie Sabra have stepped forward along with others to create groups such as The United Content Creators of SL whose membership, in just a few weeks,  is at 370 and growing.   I have been watching the blogger community and it is kind of interesting to see who puts out fluff daily while completely avoiding the topic, to those who give an opinion one way or the other.  So if you are not sure what groups or people will stand up for you as an artist or creator then all I can say is there are a few groups, some behind the scenes, but perhaps for now join the The United Content Creators of SL.
     Below is a long but informative video hosted by the UCCSL  which recorded yesterdays in-world meeting with three IP lawyers discussing what the TOS language means.  I would start at 7 min in, then play it in the background as you do something else like build a pillow fort.  I found it quite informative, especially when discussing other TOS wording by companies such as yahoo, Facebook and so on.  Why they used certain words and what text is most disturbing.



Comments

Lynne Hand said…
Thanks for sharing.

I'm not a content creator, or particularly artistic, but I use SL a lot. I'll admit I was confused when I read these new TOS rules, and not a little confused.

My gut reaction is that LL are getting ready to sell off or float Second Life, and realised that most of the things that make SL so much fun to use, don't actually belong to them. It's a bit like a land grab from the days of the Old West.

Shocking.
Lynne Hand said…
Did you mean 7 minutes in? The video is only 3 minutes long. ;)
Lynne Hand said…
Oops - ignore me - good grief it's 3 hours long!

Off to build my pillow fort now. ;)
Luna said…
Bryn you are an amazing person :)

Popular Posts